Now in its 7th year, Boomtown Film and Music Festival features local musicians and filmmakers, as well as bands from around the country and screens films from all over the world.
Thanks to the dedicated volunteers who are passionate about seeing the Southeast Texas film community grow, Boomtown has it all. Two of those individuals are Christina Trujillo, marketing coordinator and Olivia Busceme, music programmer.
"We have some more marketable films that are a little trendier, like the Robo Cop remake," said Trujillo. "There are also movies with great narratives and documentaries that have a lot of heart. There are international films - from Iran, Egypt and Spain."
Start the festival off right at the opening reception and awards ceremony on Friday, February 21 from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at the Dishman Art Museum. Dress to impress and schmooze with the filmmakers. Get your picture taken and purchase your festival pass.
This is bound to be the most exciting year yet, with three times as many film submissions as in years past. A new and interesting feature this year is a live theatre short production, Bloody Elephants, by local theatre production group Ad Hoc Beaumont.
Get the full schedule lineup here.
A full-access pass is available for the rock-bottom price of $15, or a venue pass for $7 per day. Get tickets online at Outhouse Tickets.
Olivia's Top 3 Happenings:
- Metal bands - DarkSideSun, Funeral Horse and Behelit - playing The Gig on Friday.
- The Back Pockets documentary screening at The Gig on Saturday.
- Jenny and the Reincarnations closing out the event Saturday 1 am at Tequila Rok. Olivia says, "If you've heard them, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, what have you been doing with your life?"
Christina's Top 3 Happenings:
- The pre-party at the Logon Café. Here Come the Girls, an all-female vinyl-spinning collective from Houston, will be providing groovy tunes, baby. Dress in your 60's best, purchase your festival pass and plan your personal BEST OF THE FEST, and dance, dance, dance.
- Sour Notes, an official South by Southwest selection, playing before the Jennies Saturday night.
- The Robo-Cop remake screening.
For other Beaumont events, check the Beaumont CVB's online calendar of events.