On Tuesday, February 4, 2020, the CVB recognized and honored the meeting planners who chose Beaumont as their host city for conferences, sporting events and reunions during the previous year. CVB staff expressed gratitude to meeting planners for their contribution to the success of tourism in Beaumont during 2019. After the recognition ceremony, the CVB presented this years’ Service Award to a local citizen who has shown extreme dedication to enhancing tourism in Beaumont.
The Service Award recipient this year was Sherry Peddy, Director of Sales at the Holiday Inn and Suites Beaumont Plaza. Her dedication to the hospitality industry for the last 12 years and willingness and eagerness to work with the CVB on both sales and tourism efforts goes unmatched. “We are so grateful to have a partner who is such a joy to work with,” said Dean Conwell, CDME, Executive Director of the CVB. “Sherry is an expert in the field and understands the importance of meetings and tourism in our area. With her help, numerous meetings and stays throughout the years have been a success.”
Each year the CVB works diligently to entice groups, conventions and sports planners to choose Beaumont for their meeting destination. These events impact the local economy through hotel occupancy taxes and tourism dollars that are “new money” brought into the city that significantly affect the economic development of Beaumont.
In 2019, Beaumont hosted 112 events, welcomed 75 organizations and 91,727 convention delegates. The direct economic impact on Beaumont's economy from convention business is estimated to be more than $16.3 million* for 2019.
Events drawing the largest numbers of overnight stays include the following:
- Southeast Texas Baseball: 5,484 Room Nights/ 23,985 Attendees/ 13 Tournaments
- Torpack LLC: 1,875 Room Nights/ 89 Attendees
- United States Fastpitch Association (USFA): 1,401 Room Nights/ 4,830 Attendees/ 4 Tournaments
- United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA): 1,042 Room Nights/ 13,350 Attendees/ 8 Tournaments
- Education Service Center Region 13 Conference: 981 Room Nights/ 475 Attendees
- Stars Over Texas: 890 Room Nights/ 2,490 Attendees/ 2 Tournaments
- Skills USA District 7: 663 Room Nights/ 1,885 Attendees
- Texas Association of Collegiate Veterans Programs Officials: 571 Room Nights/ 250 Attendees
- Missionary Baptist General Convention of Texas: 482 Room Nights/ 500 Attendees
- Hebert High School Alumni Association: 399 Room Nights/ 790 Attendees
This year’s entertainment included the Beaumont United High School “Soul of the South Band” and Show Choir led by Mr. Kevin Lee and Mr. Brock Perry.
High resolution photos from the event are available at: https://platform.crowdriff.com/m/beaumont-convention--visitors-bureau-/album/66992
*The economic impact is calculated using a formula provided by the Texas Travel Industry Association. More travel impact information is available at www.gov.texas.gov/travel-texas.